Enjoy a discount of 15%* with the codeSUMMERDEAL15 until 30/09/2022

Immoweb Protect / Home Protect for owners / FAQ

Find answers on everything related to Home Protect's Insurance for owners

General questions about home insurance

Are home insurance and fire insurance the same thing?

Yes, in insurance jargon, fire insurance is also known as home insurance as it includes far more than simple fire cover.

Indeed, it protects your home for damage caused by fire but also for that caused by other phenomena such as storms, water, and natural disasters to name but a few. Furthermore, home insurance covers damage caused to other people (third parties), such as neighbours and/or their home, for which you are held responsible. Let's take the example of a fire that starts in your home and spreads to the neighbouring home. If you have home insurance, you will not have to pay out of your own pocket for the damage because your insurance will cover it and compensate your neighbours. You can also choose to cover your content and insure against theft and vandalism.

For tenants, the term tenants’ liability is very often used. This term actually refers to the tenant's home or fire insurance. It protects the property that the tenant occupies against damage that they may cause and for which they are held responsible. It also covers damage that the tenant may cause to third parties such as neighbours and/or their homes. The tenant also has the possibility to cover their content and insure against theft. For further information on tenants’ home insurance, please visit the following page: The fire insurance designed for tenants

Is home insurance (otherwise known as fire insurance) compulsory for homeowners?

In Belgium, homeowners are not required by law to take out home insurance.

However, many homeowners are required to take out home insurance as part of a mortgage loan. This is because if you take out a mortgage, the bank usually requires you to take out home insurance to cover the home for which the loan is contracted.

Also, if you own a home in Flanders that you rent out with a rental lease that came into effect after 31 December 2018, you and the tenant must take out home insurance to protect the home.

However, even if you are not obliged to take out home insurance, it is strongly recommended to avoid paying out of your own pocket for damage to your own or neighbouring properties caused by fire, smoke, or water, for example.

In addition, with home insurance, you also have the possibility of taking out optional content insurance to protect your furniture and personal belongings. If you choose to cover your content, you can also choose cover against theft and vandalism.

I am going to rent my property; do I need to get home insurance even though my tenant has taken out tenants’ liability insurance (a tenant’s home insurance)?

Firstly, if you own a property that you are planning to let, take the following elements into consideration:  

  • In Flanders and Wallonia, tenants have been obliged to take out a home insurance policy or a rental liability policy since 2019 and 2018 respectively.
  • In Brussels, the tenant is not obliged to take out home insurance but, in most cases, the landlord’s lease will require the tenant to take out home insurance or tenants' liability insurance.

As a reminder, as a property owner, you are not legally obliged to take out home insurance except de facto in the context of a mortgage. Nevertheless, we strongly advise you to protect your property with a home insurance policy, even if your tenant has their own home insurance, i.e., tenants’ liability insurance.

This is because both the landlord's home insurance and the tenant's home insurance insure different risks with a different value. Let us explain.

Homeowners’ insurance protects your building against various risks and your liability towards third parties. The tenant's home insurance only covers their liability for damage they may have caused to your home or to third parties such as neighbours through their 'fault'.

This means that the tenant will have to pay if the damage is a direct result of their actions. This is not always the case, however. Imagine that a tree falls on your property following a storm, or flooding damages your building, or lighting causes a fire in your building. As these are not the tenant’s fault, you will need to pay to repair the damage. However, if you have home insurance, the insurance will cover the repair costs and you will not need to pay from your own pocket.

Furthermore, as the owner, it is in your own interest to insure your building for its ‘replacement value’ (or reconstruction value) as, in the case of a claim, your goal will be to repair your property or rebuild it. The tenant, on the other hand, who is obliged to return the property in its original state is likely to take out home insurance for the ‘real value’ (taking wear and tear of the building into account). Having your own owner’s fire policy will compensate this loss in value.

What if I have a flat in a co-owned building? 

If you are the owner of a building with several owners, such as a flat in a block of flats, the building is very often insured via the co-ownership or the building's administrator. Therefore, if you occupy your flat, you only need to insure the content of your apartment and any improvements you have made to it.

You should always check the value that is covered for your flat in your co-ownership insurance to make sure that the compensation will be sufficient to cover your loss in the event of a claim. Could you get your property back in an identical condition with this value? If you have made improvements to your flat (e.g., kitchen or bathroom renovations, more luxurious finishes), these may not be covered by the co-ownership insurance. You can therefore insure these improvements by taking out the "property improvements" option to cover the work you have carried out and avoid being underinsured.

If you rent out your property, we strongly recommend that you insist your tenant take out tenants' liability insurance, i.e., home insurance for the tenant, to cover any damage they may cause to your dwelling or the co-owned property.

Your cover

What cover is included in my Home Protect insurance?

Home Protect insurance includes cover divided into three types of insurance:  
  • 1) Home insurance

    This insurance, which is automatically included in your Home Protect policy, protects your building, its content if you so choose, and your liability towards third parties such as neighbours.
    The Home Protect home insurance policy covers several things including:  
  • Basic cover is automatically included in your contract and covers, among other things:
  • damage caused by fire and other related risks (e.g., electricity, explosion, lightning, smoke, impacts, etc.)
  • water damage
  • damage caused by storms, hail, or the weight of snow and ice
  • damage caused by a natural disaster
  • glass break
  • building liability, which covers your liability as the 'guardian' of your building. This means that we cover damage caused by your building (including the garden, the land, or the pavement in front of the insured building) to another person, such as a neighbour, their building or one of their belongings. For example, if a tile falls off the roof of your house onto your neighbour's car or if a person falls on your pavement because you did not clear the snow from it. We will pay for such damage
If you choose to cover your content as well, we will cover damage by your furniture, and you will also be entitled to the ‘All Risk Computers’ cover.

You will find a full list of our basic cover in our General Conditions.
  • Coverage for theft and vandalism, can be taken out on an optional basis only if you have chosen to insure the content of your building.
  • The optional surround package offers a range of benefits such as higher limits for certain cover or extended cover for your tablet, swimming pool or other belongings.
Have you suffered damage that is insured by your Home Protect home insurance policy? Do you need assistance? Baloise Assistance will help to organise and pay for this.
  • 2) Building Legal Protection insurance:  

    This optional insurance protects you in the event of a legal dispute when using an insured property. Please note that disputes concerning a contract will not be covered by this insurance, with the exception of disputes with your fire insurance company.

    For example, following a fire in your home, you do not agree with the compensation offered by your home insurer. We can help you to appeal and appoint your own expert to assess the damage.

    Or has work in the street or at your neighbour's house caused cracks to your home? We can help you to get compensation from the person responsible for the damage. If the services of an expert are required, we will pay the costs and fees. In addition, we will assist you and pay your lawyer's costs and fees, within the limits of the general terms and conditions, if the matter cannot be resolved amicably and a legal, arbitration or administrative procedure is necessary or if you are required to appear in court.
  • 3) Pack Family insurance:

    This optional pack includes family liability insurance and, if you so wish, private life legal protection insurance as well.

    The family liability insurance protects you and your family for damage you may have caused to another person in the context of your private life that is not related to the execution of a contract. Your dog bit your neighbour. Your child was playing at your neighbours and damaged their television. You caused an accident while riding your bike. With the family insurance option, we will pay for the costs of treatment for the bitten neighbour, the costs of repairing or replacing the neighbour's television or compensation to the victims of the accident you caused. An excess is deducted from the compensation in case of material damage, and you will be responsible for paying this amount.

    You also have the possibility of taking out Private Life Legal Protection insurance, which gives you cover in the event of a legal dispute in your private life. This means that we will represent you if you suffer damage in your private life (outside of any contract) with a third party and you wish to claim compensation. We will do everything possible to recover your claim from the person responsible and will pay your lawyer's fees and expenses if necessary.
Home Protect insurance offers you more than just home insurance.

For more details on these types of cover, please see our general terms and conditions.

Is my content also ensured?

Coverage for your content is optional. If you do not take out this option, you will not be covered for damage to your content or if your content is stolen.

What does content mean? Here are a few examples:  
  • furniture
  • clothes and textiles
  • valuables: jewellery, collections, works of art, etc.
  • sports, music, or leisure equipment
  • decoration, crockery, lights
  • electrical and multimedia devices

Which damages will never be covered?

You will never be covered for:
  • damage you have caused intentionally
  • damage caused by mould, spores, fungi, insects, and parasites (except for dry rot under certain conditions; see water damage cover)
  • damage caused by environmental pollution
  • damage caused by your failure to comply with imposed measures
  • damage caused by your failure to repair the cause of a previous claim.
Please note that this list only contains examples of exclusions and is not exhaustive. See general terms and conditions for a full list of exclusions.

Can I insure my second home?

With our Home Protect product, we only offer cover for homes used as the main residence with regular occupancy (whether occupied by you or a tenant/occupier), i.e., a home that has not been unoccupied for more than 120 nights in the 12 months prior to a claim. A night is considered to be from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.

We therefore do not cover secondary residences.

Am I covered in a holiday home that I am renting? 

Are you staying somewhere else temporarily, for your holidays, for example? Is the building you are occupying and renting for a maximum of 120 days per insurance year either a house, a flat, a hotel room, a tent, or a residential caravan? If you cause damage through fire, explosion, or smoke in the building where you are staying, then we pay for such damage.

If there is damage other than smoke or fire damage and you stay in the building for less than 90 consecutive days, we will also pay for this damage.

Beware, have you only insured your content? Then only damage to the damaged content will be covered.

Please note that you cannot be the owner of the holiday home and we do not cover damage to mobile homes.

What is a deductible? How is it calculated?

What is a deductible?
Deductible is the amount that you will have to pay in the event of a claim.
In other words:
  • if the amount of your claim does not exceed the deductible you will have to pay for the damage.
  • if the amount of your damage exceeds the amount of the deductible, you will be entitled to compensation after deduction of the deductible.
How much is the deductible?
The deductible fluctuates every month in line with the consumer price index (CPI).
In January 2021, the standard deductible was €266.10 (at the consumer price index of 256.85). The reference is a basic deductible of €123.95 at the 1981 CPI of 119.64.
The deductible does not apply to assistance or replacement of locks following the loss or theft of your keys.

How much should I insure my building for?

First of all, as the owner, your building is insured for its replacement value.

What is the replacement value of my building?
The replacement value of your building is the price you would pay to rebuild an identical building with the same materials on the day of the incident.

How is this value, and therefore the amount to be insured for your building, determined?
Our appraisal system will help you estimate the replacement value of your building.
Don’t worry, thanks to our appraisal system, based on the number of rooms and the postcode of your home, even if the estimated value of the building is lower or higher than the actual replacement value, we will still compensate the full amount of the damage within the limit of the actual replacement value of the building, after deduction any applicable excess.
It is important to use this system correctly to avoid a lower level of compensation.

How much should I insure my content for?

If you have chosen to insure your content, you must also insure this for their replacement value, with the exception of some items that you must insure for their actual or replacement value, such as clothing, vehicles without engines, watches, etc.

What is the replacement value of my content? 
For furniture, the replacement value is the price you pay to replace the furniture with objects made of the same materials on the day of the incident.

How is this value, and therefore the amount to be insured for your building, determined? 
If you have taken out ‘Furniture’ cover for your content in addition to the insured building, the minimum amount to be insured for your content is 25% of the amount insured for your building. The amount to be insured for the content may not exceed 150,000 euros.

If you insure only your content, it must be covered for a minimum of 44,536.23 euros. This amount of 44,536.23 euros is determined with the ABEX 878* and corresponds to a majority of cases, taking into account all your belongings in your home: furniture, electrical appliances, decoration, textiles, bedding, different equipment, crockery, etc.

* What is the ABEX? The ABEX is an index that represents changes in the price of construction. All ‘Fire’ contracts are subject to this index. It changes twice a year. For more information on the ABEX and its evolution, please see:

Your contract

Who is behind this insurance?

Home Protect insurance is :

  • marketed by Immoweb Protect, the trading name of Immoweb Financial Services SA/NV, an insurance broker registered with the FSMA under number 0727.442.788
    => this means you bought it from Immoweb Protect which markets the insurance.
  • managed by Qover SA, insurance broker registered with the FSMA under number 0650.939.878.
    => this means Qover takes care of the administration and management of your contract and your claims. Qover will be your first point of contact if you have any questions about your contract or if you need information.
  • insured by Baloise Insurance and by Euromex for legal protection.
    => this means Baloise and Euromex will pay your claims if you are covered.
    24/7 assistance is provided by Europ Assistance
    => this means they will take care of providing you with assistance in the event of an urgent problem.
    You will find the limits of their services and more information in the general terms and conditions.

Are you moving? What should you do?

  • Will you be staying in Belgium and still be an owner?
    Good news! We cover both the previous address and the new address for 120 days for both the building and the furniture. This will give you the flexibility to prepare your new home without having to pay for two fire insurance policies at the same time. The 120-day period begins on the day the building at your new address is available to you. After 120 days, only your new home and its content will be covered.

    We recommend that you inform us as soon as possible when you move. You must also inform us of your new address and the details of your home so that we can adapt your policy and determine your new premium.
  • Will you be staying in Belgium and becoming a tenant? 
    If you remain the owner of the property, your Home Protect policy for the insured building will remain valid, provided that it is occupied as the main residence by your occupant or tenant. You can cancel insurance for your furniture at this address the day after you move out.
    If you sell your property, your Home Protect policy will be cancelled on the date the property is sold.
    We can offer you our Home Protect product for tenants which protects you for your new home and content. For further information on this product, please visit the following page: The fire insurance designed for tenants
  • Are you moving abroad?
    You can terminate your contract on the grounds that the risk has ceased to exist if you are no longer the owner of the previously insured building in Belgium. You will be reimbursed for the excess premium.
    Do you still own the insured building? Then your Home Protect policy for the insured building remains valid if the property is your occupant or tenant’s main residence. Insurance for your furniture at the insured address automatically ends the day after you move out.

Would you like to change your policy? How do you do this?

Would you like to change your policy by adjusting the amounts of cover or adding an option?
Your contract can be adapted to meet your needs. Simply send an e-mail to our team at, and we will take care of it.

Can you cancel the contract with my previous insurance company?

We do not undertake the procedures ourselves, but we can advise you.

If you want to change insurance company, there are two ways you can terminate your contract:
  • If the main term of your contract is more than three months away, you can terminate your contract for this main term. All you have to do is send a cancellation letter by registered mail. Most companies also accept an e-mail, so don’t hesitate to ask.
  • If the main term of your policy is less than three months away, you can only cancel if your premium has gone up. Indexation of the premium (based on the ABEX) is not considered as a premium increase.
How can I check if my tariffs or the conditions of my contract have changed?
The company is required to give notice of this on your payment statement, giving you the option of cancelling if you do not accept a change in price or conditions. To cancel, you should follow the same principle as above. If there have been no changes to your tariff or conditions, you will need to wait until the next annual renewal date to be able to cancel your contract.

How to cancel your policy?

  • Did you take out insurance less than 14 days ago? Then you can cancel your policy free of charge within 14 days of receiving your contractual documents by filling in the cancellation form provided at the time of purchase.
  • No longer have a home to insure? Send us an e-mail to request the termination of the contract with proof that the risk no longer exists. We will terminate your contract on the date you leave your insured home.
  • Would you like to terminate your contract? You can cancel your contract by sending us an e-mail at least three months before the main expiry date. The termination will then take effect on the main expiry date mentioned in your special conditions.

How long does my contract last?

A home insurance contract is valid for one year and is automatically renewed at the end of that year. In order to terminate the contract before the one-year period, it is necessary to prove that the risk no longer exists and that you no longer have a home to cover as the owner.

Your claims

What to do if you need our help?

Do you have a problem that needs to be dealt with urgently?

Don’t panic! Just one number to remember: Baloise Assistance +32 3870 95 70

Contact our 24/7 assistance service and you will be in direct contact with Europ Assistance Belgium SA. They handle assistance in Belgium for Baloise Insurance.

In which cases can we help you?
  • Provide contact details of professionals or services
  • Put you in touch with quality repairers
  • Locked out of your home? We will send a locksmith to open the door for you
  • Is your heating system down? We will send a technician to your home within 24 hours and will cover a certain amount of the cost.
In addition, if you need help and assistance after a covered claim (transport, home help, diverse services), we will provide additional services and pay part of your costs.

How do I report a claim?

It is easy, simply fill in this form. Do you have any questions? Please contact Qover on +32 2 588 25 50 or by e-mail:

Which documents are necessary to make a claim?
Any documents that are needed to substantiate your claim:
  • Pictures
  • Quotes/Invoices
  • Police report (required in the case of theft)
  • Third-party claims
  • Expert reports

What happens after I have made my claim? How long will it take to receive compensation?

Upon receipt of your claim, we will examine whether you are covered.

After confirming the cover, we will forward the file to an expert to assess the amount of the damage. As soon as the amount of the damage is assessed, in agreement with the various parties, we will proceed to pay compensation.

Processing time will depend on:
  • the type of claim: Can the cause be easily identified? Can the damage be assessed? Does the assessor have all the information they need to assess the damage? Does the assessor confirm the information received?
  • the people involved: Has the person responsible been identified? Does everyone agree on the cause and the amounts to be compensated? Will everyone involved be available to carry out the assessment and be easily reached in order to settle the case?
A clear, easily identifiable, assessable claim (e.g., a broken window) will always be dealt with much more quickly than a claim with multiple parties and unknown factors (e.g., water damage where the cause cannot be found).

Do you still have questions about home insurance? We are there for you.